Platform-agnostic Mindstorm EV3
From Just in Time
(Redirected from Mindstorm EV3)
For now, this page just holds some notes and links, while I'm preparing for the Mindstorm project.
Initial goal is to get a graphical programming environment up and running on linux with an EV3 set running regular firmware.
- The C sources on github
- how to establish a wifi connection
- USB. Is this HID (as NXT appears to be), or serial?
Programming Language (and environment)
For now, I will be looking at integrating this with scratch. Maybe I can get extensions to work without the developer account requirement by installing it locally. Maybe I should just spend time on figuring out how to get a developer account.
- Zaluum looks good, but is geared towards data processing, not directive languages.
- How about Blockly? Comes with a lot less bagage than Scratch. No flash, which is a plus.
- note to self: creating an (http-) portal/proxy service to "all visible EV3 devices" may be useful all by itself. In the end, I just want to xmlrpc to the brick.
- scratch to USB serial or HID should work, but requires a cable.
- Direct execution (from the scratch environment) vs. program-and-run.
Although not currently investigated, communications may be a lot easier if the smart brick runs a custom firmware.