Platform-agnostic Mindstorm EV3
From Just in Time
For now, this page just holds some notes and links, while I'm preparing for the Mindstorm project.
Initial goal is to get a graphical programming environment up and running on linux with an EV3 set running regular firmware.
- The C sources on github
- how to establish a wifi connection
- USB. Is this HID (as NXT appears to be), or serial?
Programming Language (and environment)
For now, I will be looking at integrating this with scratch. Maybe I can get extensions to work without the developer account requirement by installing it locally. Maybe I should just spend time on figuring out how to get a developer account.
- Zaluum looks good, but is geared towards data processing, not directive languages.
- How about Blockly? Comes with a lot less bagage than Scratch. No flash, which is a plus.
- note to self: creating an (http-) portal/proxy service to "all visible EV3 devices" may be useful all by itself.
- scratch to USB serial or HID should work, but requires a cable.
- Direct execution (from the scratch environment) vs. program-and-run.
Although not currently investigated, communications may be a lot easier if the smart brick runs a custom firmware.